Halloween Pumpkin Carving Templates
[dc]H[/dc]alloween is a little over a week away and we have created some carving stencils to dress up your pumpkins.
Click on the below images to download each template:
Need tips for carving the perfect pumpkin? Here’s step-by-step instructions.
- Printed pumpkin stencils.
- Masking tape (or any tape that doesn’t have an adhesive that will damage the pumpkin).
- Carving tools. Though ordinary household tools will work in a pinch. We highly recommend using specialized pumpkin carving tools. They are available everywhere this time of year and usually cost less than $10. Look for one that has two sizes of saws, a scraper, and a poking tool.
- Cut a small opening at the top or bottom of the pumpkin and remove the pumpkin seeds and “guts.”
- Print the stencil and cut around the stencil (this makes it easier to apply).
- Tape the stencil to the pumpkin as flush as possible. Use tape to secure any flaps and folds that appear from making the paper stencil flat against the round pumpkin.
- Once the stencil is securely fastened on the pumpkin, begin to trace the outline of the pattern (the black part of the stencil) with the poking tool, making a series of holes to mark out the carving area.
- Once you’ve outlined the entire area, remove the paper stencil and tape.
- TIP: Before carving the pumpkin, rub the outside of the pumpkin with flour or cornstarch to make the outline more visible.
- With the small or large carving saw, begin carving out areas of the pumpkin, being careful to keep the sections of the pumpkin which will support the finished pattern, intact.
- Once you’ve finished the main carving, carefully clean up any rough edges.
- Place a battery-operated light (or strobe light) inside the pumpkin.
- How did yours turn out? Share your photos here and we’ll post them on our Facebook Page.
Visit our Halloween category for last-minute costume ideas, easy Halloween recipes, and decor tips.