Storing Your Wine
Whether you plan to store white or red wine for 3 months or 3 years, here are a few easy guidelines to ensure your wine ages gracefully in bottle:
Store all bottles on their sides
- Why: the cork can dry out and crack if not in contact with the wine.
Aim for a steady 55-65°F – 55°F is “Perfect Cellar Temperature”
- Why: cool temperatures slow the aging process.
Keep humidity between 60-80%
- Why: low humidity can cause evaporation and oxidation; high humidity encourages mold.
Keep temperature swings to a minimum –ideally less than 10°F throughout the year
- Why: temperature fluctuation causes the wine to expand and contract, damaging the cork.
Store wine in a dark place
- Why: light exposure can cause wine proteins to become hazy and create “off” aromas & flavors.
Find a place free of odor and vibration
- Why: vibration can hinder wine’s development in bottle, and odors can leach in through the cork.