Mini Falafel Pitas with Roasted Peppers & Goat Cheese
Incredibly popular in the Middle East, falafels are balls made from ground chickpeas that are usually served in a pita. The hearty flavor contributed by the falafel is complimented by the creamy tartness of the goat cheese and the juicy flavors of our Pinot Noir.
Mini Falafel Pitas with Roasted Piquillo Peppers and Goat Cheese
Author: La Crema Culinary Team
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 16 oz can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Salt and pepper as needed[br]
- 1 bag of mini pitas (warmed, cut in half and opened)
- 1 small can or jar of piquillo peppers
- 1 small cucumber cut into thin slices
- 1 small roll of mild goat cheese
- 1 cup of finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup of tahini sauce (sesame paste)
- Drain beans from can and reserve liquid.
- In food processor or bowl mix the all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mixture should hold its shape when formed into a small ball.
- Loosen with bean liquid and tighten with flour to obtain proper consistency.
- Shape into small balls and fry in frying pan at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Fill bottom of pita with lettuce, and drizzle tahini sauce.
- Place falafel fritters into pita and garnish with cucumber, goat cheese, and peppers.
- Drizzle tahini sauce as needed.