Our commitment to sustainability
At La Crema Winery, we realize great wine doesn’t have to come at the expense of the environment. Here are a few of the efforts we are making every day to minimize our impact:
Sustainable Winegrowing Practices
- After meeting the 227 criteria in the program, all of La Crema’s Estate Vineyards became 3rd-party certified under the Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance’s program.
- The winery facility itself is also 3rd-party certified under the Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance’s program.
Sustainability in Practice (SIP) Certification
- All of La Crema’s Estate Vineyards have been 3rd-party certified under the SIP program.
Facility and Equipment
- All facilities managed by a central computer to manage and monitor the most efficient use of energy. This includes lighting, boilers, and refrigeration systems.
- Switched to green cleaning agents to eliminate tank rinses.
- Organic community garden for employees who want to grow their own fruits and vegetables.
Waste Reduction and Management
- Pomace is composted and applied back to the vineyard or used by 3rd-parties.
- Environmentally Preferred Purchasing program was developed for office supplies.
Integrated Pest Management
• Cover crops provide beneficial insect habitat and improve water holding.
• Leaf pulling reduces disease reducing road dust to control mite populations.
• Habitat conservation in and around the vineyards provides biodiversity.
Water Conservation and Quality
• Only drip irrigation is used to conserve water and the energy to pump it.
• 100% of winery water used is recycled for landscaping and vineyard irrigation.
• Nesting boxes for raptors population to control rodent damage.
Viticulture and Soil Management
• Plant tissue analysis is conducted to minimize water and fertilizer inputs.
• Comprehensive and site-specific control measures prevent soil erosion.
• Vine balance is maintained by shoot selection, crop thinning and green drop.
What steps do you take to reduce your carbon footprint and act in a more sustainable manner?