A romantic Valentine’s Date at home
Our plan this Valentine’s Day is to create a hands-on dinner for two that oozes with romance. And what better dish to share with the one you love than a warm, creamy, cheese fondue?
We never understood waiting for a table in a crowded restaurant with your love on a busy holiday when you can enjoy a private, romantic evening at home.
Dipping bite-sized morsels into rich, bubbly cheese is a perfect way to spend an unhurried, relaxing evening together. Uncork a bottle of La Crema Winery’s Montery Pinot Noir to make the moment even more memorable.
Then, finish the night off with chocolate dipped strawberries, a comfy rug and a warm fire. (Are you there yet?)
So here it is: A simple menu for a special night. We set the table with our favorite white plates and let the food and wine have the spotlight.
(Cue Marvin Gaye album.) Let’s get it on …
Romantic Cheese Fondue
Author: Jessica Nicolls and Karyn Frazier
Recipe type: Main Dish
A hands-on dinner for two that oozes with romance
- 1 clove garlic halved crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups Dry white wine
- 8 ounces Gruyere Cheese grated (about3 cups)
- 8 ounces Emmental Cheese grated (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 loaf French or ciabatta bread, cut into one-inch cubes
- Assorted items for dipping such as sliced green apples, brocolini, mushrooms, potatoes, cooked shrimp, steak etc.
- Rub the inside of your fondue pot with garlic; discard garlic. Pour wine into pot, and place over medium-low heat.
- When liquid starts to bubble, start adding cheeses by the handful, stirring until melted and combined.
- Add lemon juice. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling slightly, about five minutes. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Transfer fondue pot to the table, and keep warm over the fondue pot warmer. Serve with bread, meats and vegetables.
Photography: Kristin Vincent Photography
Fondue Pot: Williams Sonoma
Great White Plates: Pottery BarnRomantic Cheese Fondue