The La Crema Grilled Cheese Project: Open Faced Breakfast Brioche
This month the La Crema Grilled Cheese Project focuses on an open-faced breakfast brioche brunch idea. Rich, flaky brioche, soft, tangy Foggy Mountain Cheese, a farm fresh, sunny-side up egg and a touch of fiery Sriracha.
With this grilled cheese, the key is to get the highest quality ingredients possible. If you have a bakery near you, try and get your hands on some terrific, freshly-baked brioche. Then it’s off to the farmer’s market for fresh eggs. Finish it off with a trip to your local cheese monger for the award-winning Foggy Mountain cheese. (You can also order it online here.)
(Hint: If you can’t find Foggy Mountain cheese, Chef Tracey also suggests fresh chèvre as an alternative.)
Chef Tracey Shepos pairs this with our crisp, refreshing Pinot Gris. “The tanginess of the cheese, richness of the brioche and hint of spicy Sriracha compliment the Pinot Gris acidity and minerality.”
Open Faced Breakfast Brioche
- 1 slice brioche bread.
- 3-4 oz. Foggy Morning Cheese from Nicasio Valley Cheese
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1 tsp. Canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly toast brioche in an oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick skillet with oil over medium low heat.
- Remove brioche and top with cheese.
- Crack egg into skillet and cook slowly to prevent browning (hint: here’s a good tutorial for perfect sunny side up eggs).
- Place bread and cheese back into oven, remove when cheese is melted.
- Top bread and cheese with cooked egg.
- Add dots of Sriracha to taste.
- Serve with chilled La Crema Pinot Gris.