Summer Entertaining Recipes: Peach and Arugula Salad with Crispy Bacon
Living in Georgia means some pretty brutal summer temperatures. Summer in the Peach State isn’t without its perks, though! This Peach and Arugula Salad takes advantage of one of the most delightful summer flavors.
Sweet peaches meet salty bacon and shallots to create a delicious medley in this fresh and bright salad, and the citrus vinaigrette has many other applications. Try it on other salads or even as a marinade for chicken or pork tenderloin.
- 1 lb. baby arugula, cleaned and dried
- 4 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- Kosher salt
- 4 ounces crispy bacon, crumbled
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. shallots, minced fine
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, sliced very thin
- For vinaigrette, in a blender, combine one peach, lemon juice and oils.
- Blend until smooth and season with salt to taste.
- Add the shallots and mint.
- Combine arugula and the remaining peaches.
- Lightly dress with vinaigrette, season with salt and toss.
- Top with bacon crumbles.
I like to use applewood smoked bacon. It has a fantastic fruity quality that is really nice in this salad and a good balance for the smoke and salt flavors. Don’t add the vinaigrette until immediately prior to serving your salad. Baby arugula is delicate and will wilt very quickly, especially if served outside in the heat. To combat this, you can put your serving bowl in the freezer prior to dinner and put the salad together right before serving.
Give a nice chill to a bottle of La Crema Pinot Gris to pair with this summer salad. The wine’s stone-fruit and citrus notes will enhance the peaches and balance the saltiness from the bacon and nuttiness from the arugula.
If peaches aren’t in season or you can’t find good, ripe ones for whatever reason, you could try this recipe with strawberries. I would add feta cheese and some cracked black pepper.
I have one last recipe for this series — a Grilled Chicken with Gremolata. We’d love to know what you thought about the recipes and entertaining ideas. Cheers!
- Panzanella Salad
- Peach & Arugula Salad with Crispy Bacon
- Grilled Chicken with Gremolata
For more tips from this series, visit Camp Makery.