Summer Salad with Grilled Shrimp
I’m a big fan of spinach salads with strawberries and red onion, but this time I thought I’d mix up my summer salad and add mango, grilled shrimp, and some easy candied pecans.
Summer is in full swing and I don’t know if there’s anything better than a big, fresh salad for lunch or dinner; unless of course you’re pairing it with a crisp glass of La Crema Pinot Gris!
Summer Salad with Grilled Shrimp and Mango
Author: La Crema Culinary Team
Recipe type: Salad
- About 8 ounces of fresh spinach or a field greens mix
- 10-12 ounces of large shrimp
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh mango, diced
- 1/4 cup candied pecans (see next recipe)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the greens in a large bowl.
- Top with strawberries, mango, red onion, and candied walnuts.
- Season shrimp with paprika, salt, and pepper. Grill quickly (only a few minutes on each side, until they’re pink) before adding to the salad.
- Serve with balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add walnuts and sugar and mix well.
- Stir frequently (or shake the pan) for 5-7 minutes, or until the walnuts begin to brown and form a crust. Keep an eye on them–they can burn fast if you forget about them.
- Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to drain.
While I think this salad would be delicious with any number of dressings, I happen to be partial to a simple balsamic vinagrette anytime strawberries are involved. The recipe is really easy and you can whip it up in no time–and I posted the recipe for you on Freckled Italian!
Photos by Sarah Gatrell.