The Ultimate Holiday Hors d’oeuvre & Monterey Chardonnay
Hors d’oeuvres are a must for the holiday season. If you are invited to a party or you’re hosting your own gathering, the big question is always what to “take and make.” Finding a great recipe and the right wine can take time.
As always, I am here to make your life easier. These Smoked Salmon Toasts with Caraway Lemon Mascarpone will have everyone asking you for the recipe. It is delicious, colorful, and an easy to make an appetizer that is best when paired with a white wine. Monterey Chardonnay from La Crema is a fabulous blend of sweetness and spice. This wine pairs beautifully with the flavors of the smoked salmon toasts with caraway lemon mascarpone.
For those of you are wine aficionados, I am sharing the Monterey Chardonnay wine notes. This is also good information for friends who enjoy wine and want to learn more about it.
Wine Notes: On the nose, meyer lemon, passionfruit, grilled pineapple and guava. nectarine, papaya and crisp lemon-tangerine notes are complemented by touch of spice and complexing minerality on the palate.
Now for the recipe. You will see below that I chose a dark rye. Not only it is tasty and hearty, the color contrast is visually inviting. Sourdough is also listed as an option, but know that you can use any bread that you prefer. Feel free to taste test a few varieties. Let me know which one you choose!
Smoked Salmon Toasts with Caraway Lemon Mascarpone
Author: Photography, Creative Direction, Recipe, Prop sourcing & Styling by Christiann Koepke
Copy by Christiann Koepke & Tonja Brown
Recipe type: Hors d’oeuvres
Serves: Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
Hor d’oeuvres are a must for the holiday season. Whether you are invited to a party or you’re hosting your own gathering, these Smoked Salmon Toasts with Caraway Lemon Mascarpone are sure to delight.
- 6-8 slices Dark rye bread or sourdough variety, sliced
- 1, 8 oz (227g) Mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz (113g) Smoked salmon
- 1 ½ teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 lemon, quartered for juicing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt flakes (recommend Maldon)
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Butter or olive oil
- Dill, for garnish
- Adjust an oven rack to just a few inches from the broiler and turn the broiler on high heat.
- Lay out the sliced bread on a baking sheet. Spread with butter or drizzle with olive oil.
- Toast the bread until it’s golden brown and crisp on top, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
- Over medium-low heat in a cast iron skillet, toss caraway seeds until fragrant, 1-3 minutes.
- In a food processor, blitz mascarpone cheese and toasted seeds.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- Arranging on a platter as you go, spread toasted bread with mascarpone spread. Add salmon.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice lightly over top and drizzle of olive oil.
- Garnish with fresh dill sprigs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
If you have multiple parties to attend or throw, this recipe and Monterey Chardonnay will work for all of them. It’s so delicious and pairs easily with so many dishes especially this time of year. Enjoy! I would love to see what you create on social! Tag me or send a DM.