Savory Sweet Potato & Sage Soufflé
Who needs marshmallows to jazz up sweet potatoes when you can have a sweet potato soufflé? We won’t kid you this is a side dish that requires some skill in the kitchen, but if you are up to the challenge, you and your guests won’t be disappointed.
Serve with La Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
Savory Sweet Potato and Sage Soufflé
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes (Garnet yams), washed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter, plus 2 Tbsp. for buttering the baking dish
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 12 sage leaves
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cream
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Rub with olive oil and 1 tablespoon of salt. Roast in the oven for around 1 hour or until fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool to the touch.
- Butter a 2-quart oval gratin dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan melt the butter. Add sage leaves and brown slightly, approximately 1 minute. Remove sage leaves, chop and set aside. Add onions to the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add cream and whisk to combine. Remove from heat, add chopped sage and let cool.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and discard the skin, then push through a fine ricer or a mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl and add cooled cream mixture. Stir to combine. Add sweet potato puree, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, white pepper and half of the Parmesan cheese. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until medium firm peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture. Repeat this step twice.
- Transfer to the buttered baking dish and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until evenly puffed and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Carefully, remove from oven and serve immediately.