Feast of the Seven Fishes: Crab Stuffed Artichokes
For our next offering in the Feast of the Seven Fishes cocktail party series, Nicole Chapman of Simply Catering and I are bringing out the big guns. Three words, people. Crab. Stuffed. Artichokes. Just look at that golden-brown stuffing on those lovely plump artichokes. Are you drooling yet, or just me?
Seven Fishes Recipe: Crab Stuffed Artichokes
Author: Nicole Chapman of Simply Catering
Recipe type: Appetizer
Ingredients for Artichokes
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 lemons, halved
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 6 fresh artichokes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
Ingredients for Crab Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped shallots
- 6 coarse white bread crumbs dampened with oyster stock
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 1/2 tsps black pepper
- Dash cayenne
- 1 1/2 pounds crab meat
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
Ingredients for Garnish
- 1/2 tomato, small diced
- Parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parmesan
- In a large pot, combine the water with 4 lemon halves and lemon juice.
- Trim the leaves of each artichoke, first take off the dark green outer leaves and then snip with scissors the top 1/4 of the leaves.
- Drop the artichokes immediately into the lemon infused stock.
- Add oil, wine, onion, coriander seeds, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until the artichokes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Let the artichokes cool.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, sauté onion and shallots until tender.
- Add dampened bread crumbs and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, salt, pepper, cayenne, crab meat and parsley, mix thoroughly.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Then place steamed artichokes on a cutting board and slice in half with a serrated knife.
- Scoop out the choke with a spoon.
- Fill each with approximately 1/2 cup crab stuffing depending on the size of the artichoke.
- Arrange artichokes in a baking dish and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until golden brown.
- To serve garnish with parmesan cheese, diced tomato, and parsley sprigs.
For more recipes in this series:
Feast of the Seven Fishes Menu
- Shrimp Cocktail Shooters
- Mini Lobster Pot Pies
- Clams Casino with Pancetta
- Smoked Salmon and Dill Dip
- Parmesan Stuffed Scallops
- Crab Stuffed Artichokes
- Classic Fried Calamari with a Garlic Aioli Sauce
We tried to keep these appetizers relatively simple and quick, knowing how stressful hosting a holiday party is. However, this one is worth the effort, I promise. I will be back with the next- and final- recipe for this series soon! Don’t forget to see what else I’ve dreamed up over on Camp Makery!